The Cowboys have been a well-liked Super Bowl choose earlier than the 2021 NFL season, however they could not even win the beyond-lackluster NFC East. Part of that was attributable to Dak Prescott’s season-ending leg damage, however it additionally did not assist that the Cowboys had one of many worst defenses within the NFL.
Last 12 months, the Cowboys allowed 386.4 yards per recreation, a bottom-10 mark within the NFL, and allowed 29.6 factors per recreation, a bottom-five mark within the league. The Cowboys badly must hold including expertise on that aspect of the ball and they’ll probably spend a majority of the 2021 NFL Draft doing that after retaining some offensive continuity through a long-term cope with Prescott this offseason.
Of course, the staff does nonetheless must improve some spots on offense. While the Cowboys may very well be a playoff staff if these holes are crammed, they will should hit on fairly just a few picks to make any form of postseason noise. They do have 10 at their disposal, so they need to have the ability to discover some upgrades this offseason.
Here’s a have a look at the Cowboys’ picks within the 2021 NFL Draft:
Cowboys draft picks 2021: When does Dallas choose?
- Round 1, Pick No. 12: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
- Round 2, Pick No. 44: Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky
- Round 3, Pick No. 75: Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA
- Round 3, Pick No. 84: Chauncey Golston, DE, Iowa
- Round 3, Pick No. 99: Nahshon Wright, CB, Oregon State
- Round 4, Pick No. 115
- Round 4, Pick No. 138
- Round 5, Pick No. 179
- Round 6, Pick No. 192
- Round 6, Pick No. 227
- Round 7, Pick No. 238
Cowboys 2021 NFL Draft order
|1||12 (from Eagles)|
|3||20 (from Eagles)|
|3||36 (Compensatory Selection)|
|4||33 (Compensatory Selection)|
|5||35 (Compensatory Selection)|
|6||8 (from Lions)|
|6||43 (Compensatory Selection)|
Cowboys NFL Draft wants
- Defensive deal with: The Cowboys struggled immensely in opposition to the run final 12 months, permitting 158.8 dashing yards per recreation on the season. That was second-worst to solely the Houston Texans. Adding one or two tackles right here can be crucial for the staff to enhance in that space.
- Defensive finish: With Aldon Smith gone and never prone to return to the Cowboys, they want one other edge rusher to enrich Demarcus Lawrence. The staff does have Randy Gregory within the fold, however can they actually belief him to remain on the sector?
- Cornerback: Trevon Diggs had rookie season for the Cowboys and so they re-signed Jourdan Lewis to a contract. Still, they need to attempt to land a real No. 1 nook to enrich Diggs and function a top quality exterior starter.
- Offensive deal with: Tyron Smith has had bother staying wholesome in latest seasons. Now 30, how a lot will he have left within the tank? The staff must have depth possibility behind him and whereas Ty Nsekhe is an effective begin, he is 35 years previous. Adding a younger backup and potential future starter in an ideal offensive line class can be a sensible transfer for the Cowboys.
- Linebacker: Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith are good starters for the Cowboys, however the depth behind them is just about non-existent.
Dallas Cowboys mock draft 2021
Here are the newest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Cowboys, in keeping with Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|1||10||Patrick Surtain II||CB||Alabama|
|2||12||Carlos Basham||EDGE||Wake Forest|
|3||36||Spencer Brown||OT||Northern Iowa|
|4||10||Marvin Wilson||DT||Florida State|
|4||33||Alim McNeill||DT||NC State|
|5||35||Frank Darby||WR||Arizona State|
|6||8||Jack Anderson||G||Texas Tech|